Veterinary Technologist and Technician
Perform medical tests in a laboratory environment for use in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases in animals. Prepare vaccines and serums for prevention of diseases. Prepare tissue samples, take blood samples, and execute laboratory tests, such as urinalysis and blood counts. Clean and sterilize instruments and materials and maintain equipment and machines. May assist a veterinarian during surgery.
View all Veterinary Technologist and Technician Programs
Related Job Titles
Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT), Emergency Veterinary Technician, Internal Medicine Veterinary Technician, Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT), Medical Technologist, Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT), Veterinary Assistant, Veterinary Laboratory Technician (Veterinary Lab Tech), Veterinary Nurse, Veterinary Technician (Vet Tech)
- Care for and monitor the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Maintain controlled drug inventory and related log books.
- Administer anesthesia to animals, under the direction of a veterinarian, and monitor animals' responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
- Restrain animals during exams or procedures.
- Administer emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life saving procedures.
- Observe the behavior and condition of animals and monitor their clinical symptoms.
- Perform laboratory tests on blood, urine, or feces, such as urinalyses or blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Prepare and administer medications, vaccines, serums, or treatments, as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Clean and sterilize instruments, equipment, or materials.
- Collect, prepare, and label samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Associate's degree 68%
- High school diploma or equivalent 12%
- Post-secondary certificate 11%
Median wages (2013) $14.66 hourly, $30,500 annual
- Employment (2012) 85,000 employees
- Projected growth (2012-2022) Much faster than average (22% or higher)
- Projected job openings (2012-2022) 33,200