Occupational Therapy Assistant
Assist occupational therapists in providing occupational therapy treatments and procedures. May, in accordance with State laws, assist in development of treatment plans, carry out routine functions, direct activity programs, and document the progress of treatments. Generally requires formal training.
View all Occupational Therapy Assistant
Related Job Titles
Acute Care Occupational Therapy Assistant, Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (COTA), Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant/Licensed (COTA/L), Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA), Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant-Licensed (COTA-L), Licensed Occupational Therapy Assistant, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA), School Based Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant, Staff Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant/Licensed (Staff COTA/L)
- Select therapy activities to fit patients' needs and capabilities.
- Monitor patients' performance in therapy activities, providing encouragement.
- Instruct, or assist in instructing, patients and families in home programs, basic living skills, or the care and use of adaptive equipment.
- Maintain and promote a positive attitude toward clients and their treatment programs.
- Observe and record patients' progress, attitudes, and behavior and maintain this information in client records.
- Aid patients in dressing and grooming themselves.
- Implement, or assist occupational therapists with implementing, treatment plans designed to help clients function independently.
- Communicate and collaborate with other healthcare professionals involved with the care of a patient.
- Evaluate the daily living skills or capacities of physically, developmentally, or emotionally disabled clients.
- Attend continuing education classes.
- Associate's degree 82%
- Master's degree 10%
- Bachelor's degree 8%
Median wages (2013) $26.57 hourly, $55,270 annual
- Employment (2012) 30,000 employees
- Projected growth (2012-2022) Much faster than average (22% or higher)
- Projected job openings (2012-2022) 20,500