Conduct electroneurodiagnostic (END) tests such as electroencephalograms, evoked potentials, polysomnograms, or electronystagmograms. May perform nerve conduction studies.
View all Neurodiagnostic Technologist Programs
Related Job Titles
Certified Neurodiagnostic Technologist; Clinical Supervisor, Epilepsy Monitoring Unit; Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist; Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist Coordinator; Lead Neurodiagnostic Technologist; Manager, Neurodiagnostic Laboratory & Epilepsy Center (Manager, Neurodiagnostic Lab & Epilepsy Center); Neurodiagnostic Technologist; Registered Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist; Registered Polysomnographic Technologist; Senior Technologist
- Conduct tests or studies such as electroencephalography (EEG), polysomnography (PSG), nerve conduction studies (NCS), electromyography (EMG), and intraoperative monitoring (IOM).
- Indicate artifacts or interferences derived from sources outside of the brain, such as poor electrode contact or patient movement, on electroneurodiagnostic recordings.
- Explain testing procedures to patients, answering questions or reassuring patients as needed.
- Monitor patients during tests or surgeries, using electroencephalographs (EEG), evoked potential (EP) instruments, or video recording equipment.
- Attach electrodes to patients using adhesives.
- Conduct tests to determine cerebral death, the absence of brain activity, or the probability of recovery from a coma.
- Measure patients' body parts and mark locations where electrodes are to be placed.
- Calibrate, troubleshoot, or repair equipment and correct malfunctions as needed.
- Measure visual, auditory, or somatosensory evoked potentials (EPs) to determine responses to stimuli.
- Summarize technical data to assist physicians to diagnose brain, sleep, or nervous system disorders.
- Associate's degree 55%
- High school diploma or equivalent 21%
- Post-secondary certificate 12%
Median wages (2013) $19.67 hourly, $40,900 annual
- Employment (2012) 90,000 employees
- Projected growth (2012-2022) Much faster than average (22% or higher)
- Projected job openings (2012-2022) 33,100