Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians
Perform routine medical laboratory tests for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. May work under the supervision of a medical technologist.
View all Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians Programs
Related Job Titles
Certified Clinical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Clinical Laboratory Technician (Clinical Lab Technician), Laboratory Assistant (Lab Assistant), Laboratory Supervisor, Laboratory Technician, Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT), Medical Laboratory Technicians (Medical Lab Technician), Medical Technician
- Conduct chemical analyses of body fluids, such as blood or urine, using microscope or automatic analyzer to detect abnormalities or diseases and enter findings into computer.
- Analyze the results of tests or experiments to ensure conformity to specifications, using special mechanical or electrical devices.
- Set up, maintain, calibrate, clean, and test sterility of medical laboratory equipment.
- Prepare standard volumetric solutions or reagents to be combined with samples, following standardized formulas or experimental procedures.
- Collect blood or tissue samples from patients, observing principles of asepsis to obtain blood sample.
- Supervise or instruct other technicians or laboratory assistants.
- Conduct blood tests for transfusion purposes and perform blood counts.
- Inoculate fertilized eggs, broths, or other bacteriological media with organisms.
- Obtain specimens, cultivating, isolating, and identifying microorganisms for analysis.
- Examine cells stained with dye to locate abnormalities.
- Bachelor's degree 46%
- Associate's degree 31%
- Post-baccalaureate certificate 10%
Median wages (2013) $18.26 hourly, $37,970 annual
- Employment (2012) 162,000 employees
- Projected growth (2012-2022) Much faster than average (22% or higher)
- Projected job openings (2012-2022) 90,200
Clinical Laboratory Technician Scholarships
Scholarship: Clinical Laboratory Sciences Scholarship for Excellence
School: Arizona State University
Description: Scholarship for undergraduate students attending Arizona State University full-time, enrolled in the College of Life Sciences. Applicant must have achieved academic excellence. Due date, number of awards and award amount varies.
Scholarship: Clinical Laboratory Science Scholarship
School: Tarleton State University
Description: Scholarship for undergraduate students attending Tarleton State University interested in Clinical Laboratory Science. Awards are based on academic merit. Number of awards and award amount may vary.
Scholarship: Sutter Clinical Laboratory Technology Scholarship
School: California State University Sacramento
Description: Annual award for undergraduate senior student attending California State University-Sacramento, majoring in Biological Science with Clinical Laboratory Technology concentration. Applicant must have a minimum 3.0 GPA. Renewable.
Scholarship: John F. Schmidt Clinical Laboratory Sciences Scholarship
School: Arizona State University
Description: Scholarship for undergraduate students attending Arizona State University full-time, enrolled in the School of Life Sciences. Applicants must be interested in participating in research experiences with ASU faculty. Due date and number of awards varies.
Scholarship: Mary Eileen Leonard Clinical Laboratory Sciences Scholarship
School: Trident Technical College
Description: Scholarship for returning undergraduate students enrolled at Trident Technical College majoring in Medical Laboratory Technology. Students must have a minimum 2.5 CGPA and completed MLT 102 with a minimum C average. Number of awards may vary. An essay must be included with application packet. Nonrenewable.
Scholarship: Research Awards - Grants Program
Description: Annual award for Clinical Laboratory Scientists and Clinical Laboratory Technicians who are active members of ASCLS conducting research in the field of clinical laboratory science. Up to two awards will be presented at the annual ASCLS meeting. Contact granting agency for more information and/or application. Award amount varies.
Scholarship: Gloria F. Mike Gilbert Memorial Trustee Award
Description: Annual award for students that are Clinical Laboratory Practitioners who have been engaged in the practice of clinical laboratory science for at least three years and have position responsibilities including supervision or management, or have established goals consistent with professional development. Email the completed application as an attachment; mailed applications will not be accepted.
Scholarship: Allegiance Healthcare Graduate Research Award
Description: Annual award for graduate student to support research in Clinical Laboratory Science. The recipient receives a plaque and award amount at the annual ASCLS meeting. Contact granting agency for more information and/or application.
Scholarship: Dorothy Morrison Undergraduate Scholarship
Description: Scholarship for undergraduate students enrolled in an NAACLS accredited program in Clinical Laboratory Science including Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Technician/Medical Laboratory Technician, Cytotechnology and Histotechnology. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Contact the Fraternity for more information and/or application.
Scholarship: Dr. Alexander Wallace III & M. Ann Wallace Endowed Scholarship
School: Wayne State University
Description: Scholarship for undergraduate students attending Wayne State University who are majoring in Clinical Laboratory Science. Selection based on academic achievement and potential. Due date and number of awards may vary. Contact the Department of Clinical Laboratory Science for more information and/or application.
Clinical Laboratory Programs by State